Monday, April 29, 2013

Planning


During the summer of 2011 I decided that I would teach one more year and retire at the end of the 2011-2012 school year.  So the decision was made to cruise around the world in 2014 but with which cruise line was still to be determined.

I started by researching which lines did a world voyage in 2013 since 2014 information would not be published for another year.  I came up with the following list:
  • Costa
  • Crystal
  • Cunard
  • Fred Olsen
  • Hapag-Lloyd
  • Holland America
  • P&O UK
  • Princess
  • Saga
  • Seabourne
  • Silversea
From that point I eliminated those lines that had what they called a "world" cruise but did not actually circumnavigate the world.  It was very important that I went truly around the world, starting and ending in the same place.  That narrowed my list down to:
  • Cunard
  • Fred Olsen
  • Hapag-Lloyd
  • Holland America
  • P&O UK
  • Saga
At that point I started finding prices and looking at pictures and videos of the ships.  Hapag-Lloyd was the first to go because of the price (well over $100,000 for a balcony for a solo traveler).  Next was Saga.  The ship's were old and the price was high (they have since given up world cruises).  Fred Olsen was eliminated next - the ship was old and I did not know much about the company,  I then had to let HAL go.  I had started out with HAL as my frontrunner but the Amsterdam (that does the world voyage) has few balcony cabins and they are high priced to start - then there is a 200% charge for solo travelers.  That made HAL over $30,000 more than Cunard or P&O.  So I was down to two.  I started asking question on Cruise Critic and also on the P&O Community Board.  I already knew some about Cunard because I had done a Transatlantic on the original Queen Mary.  I received a lot of feedback and for the most part people thought I would not like P&O because it catered to the British trade - I would not like the food, entertainment, and general ambience.  For the next two months I flip-flopped between Cunard and P&O.  I finally decided that I would meet a nice, international mixture of people on Cunard and the first major decision was accomplished.

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment