Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Packing


How do you pack for a 118 day World Voyage?

I have been asked that many times.  Here is what I have planned.

Packing Challenge #1 - The Weather

About one quarter of the cruise will be in cold temperatures and the rest in warm to hot.  Possibly the only really cold places will be Southampton (where I will spend two days before the cruise starts) and New York City.  Average daytime temperatures are in the 50s for the other "cold" ports.  I am planning on layering for these places.  I have a great water resistant LL Bean coat with a zip out fleece lining which I will be wearing.

Packing Challenge #2 - Evening Dress

Cunard is probably the dressiest of all the cruise lines.  We will have about 35 Formal Nights.  When I first started planning (and purchasing) for this cruise Cunard had formal, semi-formal, and elegant casual evenings.  Earlier this year it was changed to formal and informal.  This made me change my packing list - removing some of the more casual outfits.  Since I never get to dress up in my regular life, I am making the most of these dressy evenings.  I have mostly separates and won't have to repeat an outfit more than twice.

Packing Challenge #3 - Luggage

I love luggage and would buy new pieces every trip if I had the money.   All of my old luggage was from before the airlines got strict about limits, so I gave some away and the rest went to Goodwill.  After looking at some expensive lightweight Samsonite (over $500 per case at the outlet store), I found International Traveller (IT).  Very light (4-8 pounds depending on size) and a good price.  I bought three large pieces and one carry-on.  Weight-wise I should be okay if I can get everything in (I actually weighed my clothes).  I am also taking a very old frameless bag (which once belonged to my daughter) that I can roll up and put in one piece of luggage for all the mementos I return with!

Smooth sailing until next time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment