Friday, January 17, 2014


Days 6 and 7 - At Sea

Wednesday

Had fish and chips for lunch today in the Golden Lion Pub - great chips.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the blog updated.  I could get to my blog site but could not get the "New Post" page to load.  There is a concierge for the full world cruisers and she is in the special area of the Garden Lounge for a part of the day.  She tried to help me but the internet link was not cooperating.  I was finally able to get it posted a few hours later but am still not having any luck uploading pictures.  Today was just not my computer day.  While I was getting ready for dinner I was going to play some music on my iPad - no music would play and then I discovered I had no sound on anything.  I tried everything I could think of and still no sound.  Finally, I decided I would have to find an Apple store when we are in port Saturday.

Had a drink in the Commodore Club before dinner because I was going to the show after.  For my something different I tried the appetizers they bring around at about 8:00.  One was shrimp and the others I have no idea although one tasted suspiciously like liverwurst which I would eat as a kid but no longer care for.

Dinner was very congenial.  We have a Dutch lady at the table who is trying to get people to choose the healthy options on the menu.  I am a lost cause but she tries with some of the others.

The show tonight was "Vanity Fair" which was postponed from a couple of nights ago because we were having such rough conditions.  It was billed as "music, dance, and culture of a bygone era" and was mainly from the 20s including music from Gershwin and Noel Coward.  The dancers and singers are good but I think I was spoiled with the stage productions on Disney Cruise Line.

When I returned to my stateroom I turned on the iPad and the sound was back.  I still have no idea what I did to make it disappear or to make it return!

Thursday

Having watched some of the lectures rebroadcast on the television, I was determined to make one in person today.  So, after a brief time in the sun and wind on my balcony, I went to the Royal Court Theatre to hear Ellen Baker, a former astronaut, talk about the Earth called "My Favorite Planet".  Met with some of my Cruise Critic friends and talked for a few minutes until the next speaker, Joyce Gold, started her presentation.  She spoke about famous women associated with Greenwich Village.  Both speakers were quite good.

After having lunch in the Lido Buffet I attempted a walk on deck.  The sun was still out but the winds were brisk so I did not last long and went back to my stateroom to check e-mail.  After losing badly at trivia (the winners tied with 18 - I had 10) stopped into the Lido for a spot of afternoon tea.  Dinner included the parade of chefs.  I had Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska - both very good.  The show tonight was a variety show with a pianist, a comedian, and the Cunard singers and dancers.

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment